A collection of the most useful, tactical, and actionable information educators are using to help grow Australia’s education to the front line of the world. 1% at a time.
This is where the K2AV team does the ground work to find practical information that educators can apply, ponder, and discuss to move the needle 1% further . So here it is:
Ex Perth school teacher’s achievement that educators are applauding
Ex school teacher from Perth features on Eminem’s new album. Donna Burke, an ex-high school teacher who grew up in Doubleview and now lives in Tokyo Japan, has had her vocals sampled on Eminem’s new album Kamikaze on a song titled Good Guy.
“I’m shocked and happy to think that Glassy Sky is being heard by..well Eminem for starters..it’s so fun and completely out of left field! I couldn’t make this up…!”
Advice teachers are giving to students transitioning to high school after this term
Don’t feel overwhelmed by the jump in school work, to avoid embarrassment – leave the “kid” items behind, and just be yourself, don’t panic, it isn’t the be-all and end-all. This is summarised from “My Year 7 Life” which is a docuseries following 16 Australians as they make their way through the first year of high-school.
Where teachers find movies, documentaries, and education related programming
Enhance TV. A collection of video resources linked to the Australian curriculum completely searchable by subject area, and age. Also free for 12 months for teachers.
Most shared education videos on Facebook
All inspiring and motivating this time around, putting you in the right mindset for Term 4!
- Teaching Kids To Be Determined : A classroom practising loud affirmations geared towards developing resilience and toughness, as opposed to over-protection.
- Linda Liukas- The poetry of programming : A talk on how educators need to adapt to the ever-changing landscape of education due to technological advancements – primarily coding.
- Brené Brown – Daring Classrooms : A talk on the importance of vulnerability, courage, and taking uncomfortable steps that mean students are likely to fall.
Most commented education articles
The ones causing the most heated debates on the socials…
- Teachers are NOT under-qualified and NOT under-educated: here’s what is really happening.
- This school replaced detention with meditation and the results are phenomenal.
- Frustrated with the “new way” of teaching.
A simple activity schools are implementing to get younger kids moving
Yoga For Kids. With sitting being branded as “the new smoking” – schools are placing great emphasis on minimising poor habits carrying over to the next generation. Particularly young kids who are born to move. As part of a school’s garden program – the below poster has been prepared to help run a garden yoga sequence.
Perth schools excited to be nominated for STEM awards
6 primary schools and 4 secondary schools have been announced as finalists for theGovernor’s School STEM Awards. Established in 2015 to recognise executive staff at schools promoting the development of STEM-based education programs.
Primary school category finalists:
- Bertram Primary School
- Brookman Primary School
- Marmion Primary
- Ocean Road Primary School
- Perth College
- Vasse Primary School
Secondary school category finalists:
- Ashdale Secondary College
- Comet Bay College
- St Mary’s Anglican Girls’ School
- Warwick Senior High School
We, K2AV, are the largest classroom technology provider to education in WA, our goal has been to help grow education in Australia to the frontline of the world. This newsletter, ourpodcast, our toolkits, and our book has been our means of sharing information that can help do that. Let us know what we could/should do better.